PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would you run a flying school/club?
View Single Post
Old 7th Dec 2007, 10:16
oscarmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, you are not alone by any means.

Now, don't get me wrong, the flying school I trained with for the PPL was excellent.

The aircraft were relatively new, and well maintained.

Standards of instruction were second to none.

However, what really used to p*ss me off was that on entering the place, most of the time you were lucky to even be acknowledged.

I never used to really feel welcome there, even though for most lessons I was about to part with best part of a couple of hundred quid.

There was no excuse with the admin staff being voluntary either - they were all paid.

I returned to the same place two years after getting my PPL to do the IMC rating, for no other reason really than the fact that I was obviously very familiar with the aerodrome and the local area, and I knew the standard of instruction would be good.

However, I have since joined a syndicate and have on occasions visited my old training unit, but with the same results. You stick your head round the door to say hello, and basically they don't want to know.

Perhaps its just a revenue thing, and they know they are unlikely to make any money out of me now, but then again I did return for the IMC course, and then there's always the night rating......

Strange though.