PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Report: High Risk For 'Catastrophic' Runway Crash
Old 6th Dec 2007, 15:04
Flip Flop Flyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I suppose its the nature of these things that it takes dead people to force any change related to improvements in safety, if it comes at a cost.

Certainly history has provided plenty of evidence of warnings overheard and action only taken once something terribly has happened.

Maybe I'm turning into an old cynic, but I cannot see the FAA (or any other regulator for that matter) taking any action that would certainly have an adverse effect on the financial performance of the airlines.

The airlines would be up in arms should that happen, and there would not be any political will to drive such a proposal - it's hardly as if some technological wizardy aimed at solving this problem is likely to decrease anybodies carbon footprint.

Ipso facto - as long as nobody is being burned to death following a runway collision two fiths of **** all is going to happen. Same with the over-worked ATCO's - unless a horrible accident can directly be attributed to a poor controller falling asleep over his scope following a mandated 60-hour working week, nothing is going to be done about it.