PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2007, 11:36
Winco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DeepGE

Whilst you may have a point about those of us that left the fleet more than 3-4 years ago being a dinosaur, the thing is that the aircraft's fuel system has NOT changed since the eintroduction of the AAR probe for Op Corporate.

Nor too has the fact that the bomb bay has no fire suppression fitted.

Now as someone who has vigerously said that the CAS and ACAS and AOC 2Gp should go, I stick by that for one simple reason.....
This accident could and should have been prevented. If you read the BoI (as I have from front to back) then you will see that it was preventable IMHO.

Who on earth undertakes to let a contract that services an aircraft such as Nimrod, but does NOT expect or enforce the contractor to fix fuel leaks?
Who ignores reports from the likes of BAe and QQ about the (quite high) risk of a fire/explosion because of no fire retardent?
Who ignores all of the other fire/smoke related incidents over the past few years (when the fleet has drawn down to a handful of frames?

The answer is....CAS, ACAS, AOC and to a lesser degree Stn Cdr ISK

Might I also point out that, following your colourful post about the groundcrew, I can find not a single reference on this forum where the groundcrew have been blamed or where it is even suggested that they are to blame. They have constantly been praised on this forum for doing a great job, with very limited resouces and under difficult conditions, not to mention with limited manpower.

Please would you stop suggesting (along with MightyHunter AGE) that we are in some way holding you responsible for what happened. On the contrary. It would appear from the report that the blame lies in the maintenance policy, and NOT the maintainers Sir!

The Winco