PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas Service Circus
View Single Post
Old 6th Dec 2007, 00:28
Keg

Nunc est bibendum

Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts
Lightbulb

Rammel, incorrect. I have spoken at some length to one of the engineers who was on the selection committee for the much maligned IFE. Although now retired he goes to my church and is in my parents Bible study group.

I joked with him that he was the one to blame for me spending long amounts of time on SATCOM discussing with the maintenance watch how to solve the myriad of problems. He acknowledged that indeed he was part of the process and that the company took the recommendation from the committee on which he was a part. That the successful tenderer didn't deliver wasn't foreseeable at the time and he felt that any committee today faced with the information that they had at the time would probably make the same decision. He acknowledged that hindsight is a wonderful thing.

This shouldn't be confused with the process that went towards buying the A330. My understanding is that the recommendation from both Flight Ops and engineering was to not go with the A330. However they were just two voices at the table and the aircraft selection 'committee' (not sure of their precise make up or whether they Flight Ops and Engineering have a vote at the table or just provide 'information') decided to go with the A330.