PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Would you like de-ice with your flight?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 15:45
PAXboy
Paxing All Over The World

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree that I cannot possibly know the situation. Even if I am anxious, as a Pax my view will be politely ignored. Unless I can SEE something wrong - missing panel - flowing liquid - flames - then it is best for me to keep quiet as I cannot contribute.

On the numerous times that I have watched the de-icing through the window, there are as many times when I have thought 'there was hardly anything there' as there were 'wow - look how much snow we collected'.

In the R&N thread, Post #56 by GMDS is pertinent:
Many moons ago a skipper of a renowned carrier travelled ID-pax on a smaller national carrier. After push-back, seeing the wing nicely covered with snow and realizing they were not deicing, he asked the hostie to tell the captain just that, identifying himself as a fellow captain. She came back reporting the PIC said the passenger should mind his own business. The skipper, as able body being seated at a emergency exit, then opened this over wing window to avoid take-off.

Outcome of the story: He got arrested and convicted for endangering flight operations.

The flight later took off deiced.

Food for thought
Equally relevant: #38 from Justinzider
I was on a later BOS-LHR service and the Iberia situation was mentioned by our ground staff. All aircraft required de-icing last night. Virgin, Aer Lingus and BA were fighting for the only available rig at the international terminal.