PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Does RAF still have any unique selling point?
Old 5th Dec 2007, 15:00
scribbler614

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does RAF still have any unique selling point?

Just back from a few weeks in the 'Stan, and found myself dragged repeatedly into intense debates with matelots and pongoes as to whether the RAF has any future, or justification.
I loyally stuck up for all things light blue - as one who briefly wore the uniform - but also found myself pondering the arguments of those who believe it would make sense for CAS, SH, Hercs etc. all to be an Army function, or for Harrier to be a dark blue show in preparation for the carriers, and so on...
I know we've all been round this buoy before but I felt poorly-qualified to stick up for the RAF, and I'm interested to hear the best arguments anyone here would muster for its continued existence.
For the sake of discussion - playing devil's advocate rather than a troll - what harm would it do for Odiham / Benson communities to join the Army, which provides most of their passengers, cargo and landing sites?
Likewise strike / CAS. If Cottesmore's finest drop weapons in support of (mostly-Army) troops on the ground why not make them all part of the same (Army) service, rather than a joint RAF/Navy force?
Or, if they're all going to operate off big carriers in the end, why not badge them all RN?
Similarly, I've heard it argued, Marham / Lossie might as well be Army, as they 'achieve an effect on the ground.' And so it goes on.
In short, the Army and RN have long histories of operating in the air. What is the RAF bringing to the party in the next 20 years or so that nobody else can bring?