PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How would you run a flying school/club?
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 14:12
luigi_m_

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I owned a flying school, I would make sure students had a reason to stay once they have qualified, rather than moving to another club. For the first instance, I would make sure all the planes look good on the inside and out. Stripping down the club 172 and putting in new seats and windows will make a world of difference in my opinion. I would make sure that all training aircraft are of the 4-seat variety, so that students can jump in the back of eachothers lessons and learn topics which are further along their course, eg, taking a lowhour student up in the circuit before they join the circuit themselves should be a great help, plus it helps keep the club atmosphere so that students will have "flying partners" once they have qualified. So now that my 2 PA-28's and C172's are freshly painted and given new seats, I would give the students a retired-airline instructor or instructors who aren't going to buzz off to the airlines as soon as they have enough hours.

There would also be 3 aircraft which would be available for tuition and hire after the PPL

1. A 4-6 seater twin piston for advanced flying and multi-engine experience, IFR-equipped of course, for IMC, Multi and IFR training.

2. Full-aerobatic 2-seater (eg, Extra 300) for members who have their PPL and at least 75 hours P1 time. Students would be encouraged to enter competitions once they are suitable, with the club's logo on the side

3. An old, perhaps as old as WW1 plane, such as a Tiger Moth of Chipmunk, something with an element of aerobatic intrigue, to keep things interesting for students, because who woudn't want to fly a 70-year-old biplane?

The club would modern enough, with 1-2 operations staff, a computer and printer that lets members print off the weather and notams before flight.

Regular flyouts to foreign or exciting destinations will keep the members happy and feeling as though they have achieved something, which they will have.

Please send your CV's for instructor vacancies in about 12 years time, and I'll get back to you as soon as possible...