PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Virgin Strike Thread (Merged)
View Single Post
Old 5th Dec 2007, 01:26
Tags

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evening/Morning all,

I won't post at length due to the hour and intake of one too many beverages (on leave before the red tops get excited)!

Whilst on the train tonight I read an article in the "Log" - a BALPA publication.
It carried a frank (and brutal in parts) article written by the BMI Company Council chairman (for pilots) on the whole strike process. It was a sobering read. What became very obvious is the disarray UNITE currently finds itself in. One of the main points voiced was that you should only strike if you are confident of winning!

If I'm able, I'll try and download the article from BALPA and reproduce pertinent parts of it (with the author’s permission).

My wife is crew with Virgin, so I have read all her (or indeed lack of) UNION correspondence. You terms and conditions do fall short of what you are due. Having worked in the airlines for 20 years, for several companies, if I thought she was in a position to win this one I'd say so here. Sadly that is not the case. One of the translations of "Union" as per the OED, translates as "the fact of uniting, or the fact of being united" sadly that doesn't tie in with the position you now find yourselves in.

Scooby, if you were a betting man/woman, how many of your colleagues do you honestly think will be stood next to you on that picket line? Forget the "I'll be there" crowd; they'll be the same bunch - plus some, that don't turn up for organised events downroute! Actions speak louder than words!
Scooby, you are obviously a lucid, well educated individual. I think you need to re-evaluate if you think you can win this one, and come out of it in a respected position to be able to go in to a negotiation next time round - if not why not?