PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qf BNE LAME cleanout
View Single Post
Old 4th Dec 2007, 23:44
The Black Panther

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There appears to be a concern that the VR's earmarked for latter release dates may be not eventuate. Some guys have a 12mth lead time. Where do they stand if nothing has happened by 18mths? How are the stage 2 Melbourne VR guys feeling, any firm dates yet?

While the new roster for BIT looks like it is over the line thanks to a clever ploy not to change BDT roster thus eliminating them from a vote. I am still hearing local complaints that they didn't screw the BIT guys enough so they could supplement night shift labour on overnight BDT checks. It is sad to see cohorts who want there cake of 44% shift penalties and still want to screw there brothers in some fashion. I say good luck to the BIT guys, they are have 10% less in penalties which will see them home by 2am. I wish we had of changed here.

The ability to source AME's will prove difficult. Junior AME's doubt this plan will work due to roster, pay rates and a plan to keep AME's as AME's for an extended time thus keeping labour costs low. The AME's are also not too pleased about a 5 on 3 off DDDNN roster however a lack of numbers and union involvement may prove there protests insignificant.

Then there is the other argument that will the cleanout of highly licensed LAME's work in the long term. The One man transit is used on QF 737, 767 and NZ aircraft however as soon as a defect occurs (incoming or during transit) a second man is seconded. This practice thus nullifies the great MA's abuse as the in-trade man is usually called. The MA's is fine for minor lamps and fixes and the heroes will continue to do avionic work for zero dollars but in the long term the alternate trade will always be required whether it is mech or avionic. So the manager will walk down the path of retraining the lost licences and guess what, in 7 years time we are back at square one!