PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - RAF POLICE -Waste of time?
View Single Post
Old 17th Jun 2001, 19:00
FJJP

The RAFP have no jurisdiction whatsoever off military property. The civilian police have no right to 'grant' them authority over a stretch of public road outside the camp. However, they do have the right to stop you in an MT vehicle on the public road. However, what is the legality of the RAFP to use their blues and twos on the public highway? I think in NI they have to have a civilian policeman travelling with them, who IS in a position of authority to grant them use of the emergency lights/sirens.

So if you get stopped by a plod in your private car on a public road, you can do him in a civil action for false imprisonment.

On base, they have the authority of Station Standing Orders and MAFL to get you - so don't bother to argue. However, what are the regulations for calibrating police car speedometers? I rather suspect you could get away with it given a good lawyer. However, civil action? - I don't think so.

By the way, I have no difficulty in my dealings with our RAFP brethern. It's a sh&&ty job, but someone's got do do it.

Any RAFP chap/chapess care to comment on the above (complete with references to the appropriate documents, of course)?

[This message has been edited by FJJP (edited 17 June 2001).]