PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMed
Thread: BMed
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 01:12
athomeabroad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
get together

Hi everyone, I am one of the old guard at Bmed and like everyone else I am sad it is all over. but anyway, life goes on, we are now at BMI, and I think we can be a force for good here. There are a few things that we managed to slowly change at Bmed and I don't see why we cannot do the same at BMI. these are small changes that should not cost anything to the airline and that provides us with small improvements in our job satisfaction. Being able to request some trips from time to time is one. Resting in the cabin during a long duty is another one. I am sure there must be a few more we can all think of. And then there are other changes to address and rectify, like the loss of our medical insurance or not being paid anything when you are doing ground training, both things that a company in robust financial shape like BMI could easily offer to its employees but will not due to tight fistedness.
At the end of the day it is down to us to organize ourselves and fight for what we think we deserve. Everybody thinks of BA as the holy grail for cabin crew, but if things are good there it is because they have a strong union that fights for them, and the union is just a sum of its members. We need to contact and support our union reps and make sure they represent us properly, and if they don't we will have to change them. In this business we are in it is difficult to keep in touch and we all make the mistake of going home and forgetting about everything, but now thanks to the internet it should be a lot easier to keep in touch and participate. So far everyone at BMI has been very nice, and you get the feeling the poor things have been so busy flying around (or applying for other jobs) that they have not had the chance to stop and think if things could ever be different. We know different, and can be the leading force for change. Let me know what you think of this and please any comments or suggestions will be very much appreciated. Safe flying to everyone.