PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - So where are all the jobs then?
View Single Post
Old 3rd Dec 2007, 00:43
ShotOver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Listen. I don't want to discourage you, but you do need to look at the reality. The training is tough, finding a job is tougher, and keeping a job is tougher still. Look at all the pilots that have jobs that you would kill for. They are complaining about one thing or another. There is something about most pilots that they are just never happy. Maybe part is that while younger we all saw the big paychecks, glamour, whatever...... It isn't like that anymore. Americans and Europeans (previously THE markets where it was good to be a pilot) are escaping to places we never thought we'd be in order to pay the bills. We are about the only profession where WE pay thousands to get a job. Others just get a job. We must do a good job once there, and give some buerocrat the opportunity to take our license twice a year. We're scrutinized at least annually for our medical condition. There aren't many jobs that are subject to the fluctuations in the market like ours is.

So, you must be tuned in on all these differences between a flight career, and the rest of the working world. Is it fair, hmmmm maybe the pax think so. Is it easy, no. Is it financially smart, NO. So, why do we do it? Either we have big hearts and passion, or we're just stupid.

Think very hard about your future. Look beyond the glamour. You paid alot of money so far, yes, but not as much as you may spend in the future. Are you already qualified as a professional in another field? Anything you're interested in? If so, consider that field, make alot of money, and buy an airplane.

I hate to say it; I've been flying too long to change careers. Now, it's what I know. In many ways the military, charter, corporate, and now commercial have provided a mix of experiences good and bad. However, when I have to 'recommend' to a younger person what to 'consider' as a future, I have to provide this perspective.

Here is a task for you. Factor out a responable career where you are paid a reasonable salary over your work years. Then factor out a flight career, with the temp contracts, down turn in economy (furlough), type ratings, etc. Unless you get lucky, it proves my point. There are exceptions. So, please don't give some sort of stupid response that says, "I was hired into an airline with only 150 hrs.....My parents paid for my 120k Euro school, and my dad knew the chief pilot, etc, etc, etc" There are exceptions, both honest, and favored. That's life. What can YOU do? What do YOU want?

If after all these responses, you still want to be a professional pilot, then follow the already great posts presented here. It'll get you through.

Cheers (We all feel, or have felt your pain)