PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No more IMC rating
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2007, 11:47
DBisDogOne

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In future aircraft pilot licensing is to be done on a European basis, rather then country by country. This is good. But it is being done by forcing the lowest common denominator on each country; we must all be the same. This isn’t so good.

Funnily enough, that's what I often think when it comes to legislation! Why should we constantly be under pressure to lower our standards to pander to others? What's wrong with saying to the rest of Europe "You must introduce an IMC-type qualification like the UK 'cos it's been a proven life-saver"? (OK, not going to happen but it would be nice).

Additionally, as someone else rightly pointed out, why can't we opt out? The French do it all the time (& the Italians & Spanish), not because they are being arrogant/nationalistic/awkward, but because it's not in the interests of their people. Personally, I admire the French (etc) for having the balls to do this, pity our politicians are corrupt guardians of vested interests who don't care a crap who they dump on.
It's not as if the IMCR was ever valid outside the UK so it doesn't concern anyone else but the UK, nor are we demanding that this be recognised everywhere else, it's a UK thing, simple as that.
Sadly, that's not the way it'll be looked at. As you may have gathered, I was hoping to start my IMC early next year, don't think I'm going to bother now until we get a firm idea of it's comparable replacement (if any?).