PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - At drinks with the Jetstar Boss
View Single Post
Old 1st Dec 2007, 06:27
Wizofoz

Location: Boldly going where no split infinitive has gone before..
Received 45 Likes on 21 Posts
Maybe my sarcasm detector is on the fritz, but here goes!!

Jetstar pilots have a fantastic package.Your conditions are the envy of all LCC's around the world.
Firstly, flatly untrue. Pay and conditions are vastly superior virtually everywhere in Europe and in equivelent airlines in America and Asia.

Secondly, so what? There is no such thing as an LCC pilot any more than there is LCC fuel. J* is not competeing only with other LCCs for pilots, but with airlines world wide. I just flew with one of the ten ex VB pilots (and he was a VB Captain) who have come here as FOs, a J* guy just moved in across the street, and we have 8 QF guys in various stages of training as they were sick of their futures being sold down the river by J*.

I qualify for a 787 slot, but I won't be coming as J* DON"T PAY ENOUGH! I know the new Airbus (and soon to be Boeing) CP personally and know his biggest worry is where he is going to find the pilots to fly the big, shiny jets.

Southwest pilots would jump at your pay and conditions given the chance.
UTTER,UTTER,UTTER crap!

If you were to be paid any more the LCC model would collapse in Australia.

Then the LCC model is fataly flawed in Australia.

CEO pay is irrelevant as executive pay in Jetstar is equal to that of overseas low cost airlines.
If CEO pay is the same, why not Pilot pay?

Jetstar pilots can make a real difference by containing costs in a period of great expansion and pilot shortages.
And they should do this why? So AJ can collect his bonus? So lots of OTHER pilots can get low-paid jobs?

We are well into structually creatng a crisis for ALL Australian airlines as there simply isn't the incentive to become a pilot in the first place. Following your logic, we should be going into the schools and saying "PLEASE forget Medicine or Law, we NEED you to come and earn less than half as a J* pilot to ensure our phenominal growth"

Right...