PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BMed
Thread: BMed
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2007, 23:00
6chimes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is only because it is a two sector trip and each sector comes in under 7 hours that they can use that set of rules. If BMI did it in one with an A330 the hours would just go over 7 hours I would guess.
But they don't so the rules apply. If and when an a/c goes direct to Almaty and it takes more than 7 hrs then L/H allowances will apply. Bmi fly to Cairo and Moscow as a there and back 2 sector day, so working on your theory as the flying time is longer than 7 hrs irrespective of sectors should L/H allowances be paid? If you think so; then what about every other crew member who flies domestic routes for every S/H airline in the UK that regularly flies longer flying times every single day, should they be classed as long haul?

I am not trying to provoke an arguement, I am suggesting that we are clouding the issue with the distance from the UK that you get off the a/c at the end of your shift with that of how hard crew work on a day to day basis.

In my opinion the case for being paid L/H allowances is simply this. The longer that you are away from home you should be reimbursed for that time away from your kith and kin. There should be a financial benefit for you to be away that long.

Although on the Bmed bmi merger, I don't think that covers the whole issue. One of the issues that he ex bmed crew are having to come to terms with is this; when you have a L/H lifestyle you can live a long way from your base so your money can go further. The facts are you had a L/H lifestyle due to roster patterns but technically you were a S/H carrier so now you have been exposed to the S/H world that many of us are, and have been for many years working within, and it hurts. You commuters are having to come to terms with the company you trusted to allow you to continue to have the life you had, is gone.

I don't know how you deal with it. I hope that you assess your new found position and make a balanced judgement and not a reaction.