PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No more IMC rating
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2007, 21:08
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This isn't about being sidetracked: It's about getting real, waking up, and smelling the coffee (rather than English Tea )
No, it is about recognising that we are world leaders.

It is about recognising that we have a mechanism that every pilot I have spoken to in Europe is envious of.

It is about recognising that in the UK GA pilots fly in poor weather safely and legally whereas in Europe they either dont fly at all, kill themselves trying or survive breaking the law.

Every country in Europe recognises the FAA IR - it is not ICAO compliant. Change as change might they cant fail to recognise the FAA IR.

What you fail to realise is GA pilots want the IMCR or they want an accessible IR. I reckon there is hardly a single pilot who would not agree with that simple statement. The reason they have not got it is they have no satisfactory mechanism for influencing the regulator who has become dominated by the commercial operators.

Moreover it goes far beyond the IMCR.

The commercial operators dont want GA in the sky at all. In Europe they are seen as a nuisance. They have been difficult over the mode S issue, they have been difficult over the fee charging structure, they are even a thorn in the side over duty on Avtur. We are unpopular - face it.

When EASA takes over Flight Crew Licensing in the near future, all National flying licences and ratings will cease, either to be replaced with Europe-wide equivalents, or removed entirely.
Just done your night rating. You can forget that as well unless you have an IR (in which case you didnt need to do it anyway). Oh yes, and you have just paid the CAA for your "national" ratings - one valid for life the other 25 months. Piad the instructor a great deal of money as well have you. They took the fee did they? I wonder if they, or EASA, happened to mention that what you thought you had paid for is not what you might get. They are on very dangerous ground if only we realised it or are they going to stop accepting IMCR students 24 months before all this comes to pass and cancel night training. There are going to be a lot of very quite airports around the country at this time of year when it gets dark.

An EASA dominated by commercial operators will see their rights eroded beyond recognition and their costs rise out of all proportion.

In America it is very different. Guess why!

I will have another cup of tea please - thank you.

Is that an "Oops" I can hear?
I know, I know but as I said earlier please try and resist the clever remarks.
If you are happy to see the demise of these priviliges I am equally happy to respect your opinion - I dont agree with it, but I wouldnt boast about how clever I had been either.

Last edited by Fuji Abound; 30th Nov 2007 at 21:21.