PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - No more IMC rating
View Single Post
Old 30th Nov 2007, 13:38
IO540

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My reading of AOPA UK is this:

They are run by a couple of out of touch characters who go about things with the finnesse of a bull in a china shop and who as a result (I am very reliably advised by insiders) are nowadays held in very poor regard by the regulatory bodies with whom they have to regularly interact.

They do have an impossible problem representing UK GA as a whole, which is a movement with its fair share of back stabbers. Anybody who is an aircraft owner and is based at a proper airfield (not some remote farm strip) will have had an introduction to airfield politics, and that is just a microcosm of the larger picture where you have different organisations each doing their own thing and screw everybody else. To give just one little example, UK's PFA pilots would happily trash all IFR GA privileges just to get a more favourable regulatory scene for themselves for flying VFR. However I don't think this is particularly British or anything like that; it is a symptom of most of UK GA scraping out the bottom of the barrel financially and this puts the whole scene under pressure, in which everybody looks after "number one". US AOPA has many times more members and many of them are well funded people who use GA for utility. In Europe, the utility value of GA is relatively poor. So.... I guess UK AOPA concentrate on the issues which are sure to unite most people, e.g. airfield closures.

Historically, and I am not sure to what degree this is true today, UK AOPA has been dominated by corporate members; basically flying schools. These have their own interests: licenses/ratings which are of limited use for revitalising GA but generate training revenue (the NPPL); the abolition of the FAA option especially if it includes UK based training, etc.

Anybody who looks after the interests of pilots (rather than flying schools) will be supporting the FAA option, or any move towards that in Europe. It seems to me that UK AOPA has moved in this direction only recently and only reluctantly.

UK AOPA has massively valuable London premises, which don't give it any benefit other than appreciation in value but as with any property this is not realised until you sell up. They don't need to be based there at all.

A website is a minor issue. With motivation, a nice website can be knocked up in days.