PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - where to instruct?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2007, 22:40
das Uber Soldat

Received 127 Likes on 36 Posts
Total crap. Real job? Buddy - get a grip. Arrogance like that will see you canned in plenty of places in this industry before you've even walked through the door. You'd be amazed at how watching and teaching day in day out, with demonstrations, can actually improve your overall flying skills. It's not all about muscle memory. I instructed from day 1 up to multi-engine IFR and then flew multi-engine IFR charter in a variety of multi engine aircraft, including multi turbine, before moving onto the airlines.
Actually, I am an instructor. I'm not amazed how often demonstration and 'watching' improves hand flying skills. Whilst there is going to be some improvement, speaking strictly in terms of stick and rudder, all my colleagues including those with up to 7000hrs instructing ME IFR remark that once back in the left seat they, for a time at least, are not up to their usual standard. Call that arrogance if you need to, I just believe its the reality. Its not to say instructors cant fly well, or very well, but I fail to understand how you can develop your hand flying ability from not hand flying. Explain to me how this is more, or even equally advantageous as another pilot doing nothing but? I would have thought it basic common sense, oh well.

I can assure you I looked back every single day whilst flying charter thinking how much I appreciated having a solid KNOWLEDGE as well as skills when it came down to handling a high work load in single pilot IFR operation. I'm not saying this for every organisation, but some of the things that other crew didn't know during crew room chats whilst planning IFR flights used to amaze me. Guys with 1000's of multi-IFR flying still didn't know the rules about descent below MDAs. Anyone who thinks that an in depth knowledge of how to fly the aircraft from a regulation point of view is less important than stick flying it shouldn't have a licence. I can assure you that having done both instructing and charter to pretty much the highest level, the guys I worked with instructing had a much better grasp on the rules than those who had done only charter and I never saw their flying skills as having suffered because of it.
I agree, knowledge wise instructing is a fantastic avenue and I took the same path for that very reason. I too have seen a lot of charter only pilots who are at best vague with theory and procedure.

It's not all about being able to land an aircraft into a short strip. For people with airline aspirations, the decision making, knowledge of rules and regulations AND being able to fly an aircraft is all equally important - something well carried if you take pride in your work as an instructor.
Sure is, well put.

This guy makes a genuine, well written enquiry, and once again a couple of jokers shoot him down before anyone has had a chance to give him a decent reply. No-one is saying a newbie is going to make the greatest instructor in the world, but someone is going to have to instruct. He'll start out teaching the basics of GFPT and progress from there. I'm sure he won't be looking to give out aircraft endorsements in the first week. Fresh CPLs are still going to be doing instructor ratings - it's not going to change. At least give those willing to give it a go some encouragement.

PM me Garman and I'll give you some decent information
Now, in all honesty, maybe if you had read my post with a little more care, we could have avoided all this. I was speaking STRICTLY in terms of hands on flying. "If you want practical hands on flying, don't instruct". Thats the quote. Being an instructor myself, I'm reasonably sure thats a fairly accurate comment.

By no means is that a comprehensive dismissal of instructing as a viable and rewarding career path or means of progression, I'm merely adding my thoughts on a very specific area to one of the many questions he posed in his initial post.