PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Restricted and unrestricted!?
View Single Post
Old 29th Nov 2007, 17:50
homeguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The true meaning

Whopity
Of course I hear what you say but the distinction to be made here is very important. One of the most common elements of pprune threads are that so and so's CFI says such and another says something else. In fact beliefs can be as varied as opinions given
An important change from the UK standard to the JARs was that we were to no longer have Assistant Flying Instructors, within which title bears a clue. We would have only Flight Instructors who are initially restricted.
But the restricted FI is only restricted to certain things. Unlike the AFI the FI(r) are not required to demonstrate any further abilities by assessment or test. The AFI was required to undertake an 'uprade' test with and FI Examiner and they were assessed. The FI(r) has simply to show 25 solo student send offs and have accrued 100 hours instructing. This is sometimes achieved in just on month. They then fill in a form, send it with a couple of bob to the CAA - job done.
What is a Supervising FI and who saids what they should be. Could be an Instructor with one months experience - couldn't it. I did once fill in a registration form, at the onset of JAA, naming me as a supervising FI but I seem to be alone nowadays and i'm sure all forgotten. It makes little difference who counter-signs the restriction release application form it seems to me.
The 'Supervisor' as briefed to me early during 1999 by our CAA inspecting officer was someone who would have the personal knowledge to countersign the release application. There was great constination that the FI(r) would not require working supervision and the retort from the Belrano always to the effect of 'thats the JAA for yer!'.

Whopity, are you saying the tune has changed?