PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cloud blamed in fatal plane crash
View Single Post
Old 28th Nov 2007, 13:45
Fuji Abound

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Englishal

I fully appreciate your comment but have you read the report and considered the circumstances fully?

The reason I wrote a lengthy post is that I dont think this is justified criticism of this pilot.

On balance, the actual weather reports seemed more than good enough for the planned trip. He was very familair with the route as he had flown exactly the same route earlier that day. There is no evidence to suggest he was "valley flying". He almost certainly had very good vis. below the base and ground immediatley to the north of his track that would have given him a healthy margin between the base and the ground. Even on the track he took there was only one short section were he was below the terrain which he should have seen coming well in advance. Most importantly he had a very safe out to the north, unless the weather reports were totally inaccurate.

I think there is moe to this than some suggest.

Come on chaps - give the pilot a break - if you can see a genuine flaw in his planning or why things went wrong in an informed way that would be revealing but I dont think this was such a simple case of CFIT due to poor planning and poor airmanship - although I appreciate that was the ultimate cause.