PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Brown treats the Services shabbily
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2007, 20:48
Compressorstall

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Defence? Vote Winner?

Until recently, Defence hasn't featured on GB or even Des Browne's radar. Why? It costs lots of money and is unlikely to raise the reading age of our children and it has been unpopular.
Neither of the above has served in uniform and whilst they like the power trip, the 'pawns' they play with are of no interest. However, these are people our population look up to and whilst waiting for Mrs CS to come out of the gym at the weekend, I picked up a copy of the Daily Mail on Saturday to find an article on page 19 where Mums in the Leatherhead Leisure Centre heckled injured servicemen to the point where they left the swimming pool. The Mums didn't like it that the injured servicemen hadn't paid and that they scared their children. Perhaps if our own Government expended some effort supporting our personnel we wouldn't have the people upon whom we rely for support heckling those who have risked and given so much.
I really love the job I do because I work with like-minded motivated individuals who are always prepared to go the extra mile because of the people we are, not for some bonus or the chance of celebrity. Gordon Brown may be going all dewy-eyed over his book of people who inspired him, but a whole bunch of equally notable people are serving every day in far away places doing remarkable things for no recognition, knowing they will come home to crap accommodation, unserviceable equipment and families who are expected to out up with constant uncertainty.
Our Government has been given the chance by some senior bods to stand up and accept it has made some errors, get the cheque book out and be seen to do something positive. They aren't brave enough to stand beside us doing the job we do, so they should do the next best thing and provide the financial and moral support to allow us to do our jobs. The key lesson is that you shouldn't start a war unless you expect to win it. So, Gordon Brown the message is man up or move aside and give us a Defnce Secretary who's full-time.