PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cockpit video of EMS helicopter landing at accident
Old 26th Nov 2007, 14:31
Devil 49
"Just a pilot"

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Purge, Ol' buddy, let it go. You fly the way you feel safest, but don't tell EMSers how to do a job you apparently are clueless of- and have no interest in learning about.
Yes, engine failures happen. "Power" failures are more common. When they happen, as infrequent as it is, you'd better have a workable survival plan. It may not always result in an undamaged aircraft- As it would from a 100' hover in an Astar- but it has to be survivable. In EMS, power failures are not the greatest hazard, so they're not the first priority for consideration in risk management. Look at the statistics.
I can't speak for Air Methods Corp., my employer, and the largest civilian helicopter EMS operator in the world, but our required flight profile supports my position. They insist that all approaches terminate in a slow vertical descent, from at least 50' above any obstructions.
They issue protective gear, helmets and Nomex, to protect flight personnel. I'm not, and nobody I know, is "worried" about an engine failure. The industry involves much greater risk to be managed than "power failures". Look at the statistics.