PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - KQ Job advertisement
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2007, 13:10
Nightfire

You can look at it that way, true. But here are my reasons:

For many years during which I kept trying to send in my papers, there was a demand for pilots at KQ (they even advertised positions through Sigmar Aviation for a while). KALPA, however, prevented anybody from coming in.

Kenyan pilots are working in various other nation's airlines where they earn more money or have better career-opportunities - and why not, I would do the same if I were them - but then, why can other guys not also try their luck in Kenya?

Nowadays, the market should decide. More so, since KQ is a private company and no longer government-owned. So if they need pilots, everybody with suitable qualifications and references should get a chance to apply. Not only those people who happen to be citizens of Kenya.

It would also raise the professional standard of the company, if HR-dept could select from a larger pool of pilots, instead of only a few dozen. So the airline would benefit from it.

The job of any ALPA is to protect the rights of flight crew. But if the government decides to issue somebody a work-permit, then an individual company should not have the right to discriminate against certain applicants. I have a work-permit, and I'm not just a low-experienced F/O who's looking to fly a few hours, but have spent many years of studying and taking checks. So I don't even take away the chances of a new graduate, but compete against other professionals.

Last edited by Nightfire; 26th Nov 2007 at 13:20.