PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BeiJing approach ATC
View Single Post
Old 26th Nov 2007, 06:58
Eric Janson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
caucatc,

I checked the other thread - thank you for the insight into Beijing ATC.

The current runway designation at Beijing is confusing. Ask any pilot - if they see three parallel runways they expect them to be designated L/C/R.

By having 36R as the centre runway and 01 as the right runway the potential for a serious incident is greatly increased IMHO.

If I remember correctly a similar situation existed at EHAM (Amsterdam) where the runway designation was 19L/19R/18. This was changed to the current designation 18L/18C/18R - the other designation caused problems.

Just to return to the visual approach - if I am arriving on an IFR flightplan ATC cannot clear me for a visual approach. ATC can ask me if I can accept a visual approach or I can request it - only then can ATC clear me for a visual approach.

When I was cleared for a visual approach 36R recently - I accepted the clearance because I could see the runway and because I was unsure what would have happened had I refused the clearance.

On the subject of descent planning - Beijing is the only airport I have ever flown to where you are cleared to descend from cruise level with a certain vertical speed (-2500ft/min). This approximates a normal descent but doesn't account for changes in windspeed. I have had to use speedbrakes to prevent an overspeed.

I have also found that we are kept very high when arriving on 18L/R- makes it very hard to fly a stabilised approach. I get the impression that not all controllers are aware of the capabilities of jet aircraft.

If you want an example of how things should be done then EHAM is the place to visit.

Thanks again for the opportunity to discuss ATC issuess in Beijing - looking forward to my next visit.