PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Dubai - OMDB ' Hands are Tied excuse' - ONE DAY TO GO
Old 23rd Nov 2007, 08:05
TheFalcon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Licenses et al

Some licences are still accepted for direct exchange but like all things here in Dubai it may change and overnight. Some recent newcomers had to have to go for FORTY not 21 lessons and I can assure you its loads of fun especially if you are into Indian music and jasmin tea! The test itself is frustating and you pass and the whim of your examiner which will evaluate you attitude towards his car rather than the driving. I know people who have been driving for over 15 years and had to do the test three times. Yes its frustrating and a total waste of time but it is like that with many things in Dubai. Try to get a telephone-internet connection, T.V. service, or anything which has to do with a government department and you dread the day you ever got on the plane to come here. You know straight away you are in trouble each time someone tells you "no problem" or wobbles his head which in these parts does not mean a yes or no.

Having said that its still a small price to pay to live in an otherwise splendid city. Coming here with a western mindset and expecting everything to work in Swiss perfect timing you are likely to get knocked of your feet pretty soon. "INSHALLAH" (God willing) is the most used word here and you will soon discover why. Just be prepared and you are in for a lovely time thats my advice. Cheers!!