PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - (Loose) formation flying
View Single Post
Old 21st Nov 2007, 21:20
eharding

A little less conversation,
a little more aviation...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BackPacker
(Oh, and just to add. My flying club has a group of enthousiast *close* formation flyers. They are currently displaying with up to nine aircraft in formation at a time, and they're simply being limited by the number of more or less compatible planes we have, not by the number of people qualified to do so. It is already a heterogeneous bunch with at least three different aircraft types right now, and more if you also count the engine variants. So if I want to learn how to do close formation flying, I know where to go. Only problem is, they train at Sunday 8.30. Too early for me and conflicting with other interests.)
Actually mate, if you have a resource like this on your doorstep, I'm wondering why you're looking for advice on an internet forum. Assuming they're a competent bunch - and incompetents at this game don't tend to stay around for very long - then get hold of a few of this group, explain what you want to do, and the aircraft and pilots you intend to do it with. Listen to what they have to say.

There are some pearls of wisdom in this thread, and there is a lot of fluffy-minded tosh. Your problem is you have absolutely no way of knowing which is which for certain - so go and get a second (first) opinion, face-to-face, from someone you are sure knows the subject, and who hopefully knows you and the pilots you are flying with well enough to be able to offer genuine guidance.

Anyway, where *is* this aeros competition you and your mates are off to? - hardly the season for it...