PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A Gloomy day in Cyprus
View Single Post
Old 5th Mar 2002, 22:20
LambJalfraezi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post A Gloomy day in Cyprus

Well the RAF has finally made it official. We have all known that the Military has been stretched to breaking point for ages. And now, the truth is out there.. .. .In a week or two, it will be announced that 84 Sqn at RAF Akrotiri will lose the Wessex next year, and it will be replaced by a civilian aircraft. All of the engineers will become civilians, and one of the very best postings in the RAF will be lost. The aircrew will remain military for the time being - thank god for small mercies. If this is the Government admitting that we can't cope, and I believe it is, then it's a sad day for us all. Please don't dismiss this if you were not on the list to come to Cyprus. One of the best UK postings was RAF Shawbury - now all the engineers and half the aircrew are civvies. I am not disparaging the civvies who do the jobs...that is not my intention at all. Rather, I lament the fact that the rot has finally set in, good and proper. Don't get too comfy in your nice little posting, wherever you are, because next time, it might be you. And believe me, no matter how loud you shout, and no matter how sound your reasoning, you won't win.