PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - USA & 250 below 10
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 14:34
controllerzhu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here are two responses that I received from LA approach controllers, hope it helps.

czhu

!. Departures over GMN are issued 250kts to the BUR area. Departures over TRM are issued 250kts, then 280kts by Newport, required by ZLA (center).
Heavies are issued "do not exceed 280kts" - I believe because we were told some heavies don't perform well at 250kts, or some such thing. There is no waiver for others to exceed 250 below 10K and all non heavies are issued "maintain 250kts" because the Burbank area required it.
Some controllers issued, "Maintain speed 280 knots" rather than "Do not exceed 280 knots" and I remember hearing the question of whether they could go faster below 10K. I also remember getting jets out of 5K for 13K working Newport, where you give them Maintain speed 2-8-0", and got the same question.

1. No one in field facilities anywhere has the authority to waive 91.117. The catch is subpara (d) of 91.117, which reads:

(d) If the minimum safe airspeed for any particular operation is greater than the maximum speed prescribed in this section, the aircraft may be operated at that minimum speed.