PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixed Flight Crew (m/f) a Human Factors Issue in any airline ?
Old 18th Nov 2007, 14:14
Martin1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin1234, I think your post tells us a lot about you!!
Here we go. As soon as someone is saying or even alluding "females" and "pilots" in a not positive manner, the problem "always" is with the one saying it no matter what. I'll try to reply to your post anyway.

Nothing, as long as he recognises that the problem might be within himself rather than with the female pilots concerned. Somehow, from the tone of the original post, I didn't get that impression.
I didn't get that impression. Perhaps he was trying to be politically correct by not saying everything out loud. After all, he was mentioning the bigger span between female pilots as opposed to male pilots.

No, female pilots do not give it a moment's thought.
Perhaps because they normally work with male co-pilots and try to be forgiving to their female co-pilots.

I'd love to know where you got that snippet of info. I do hope this isn't your own prejudice coming through by making up stuff and then dressing it up as fact.
I never said it's fact. I just stated it as a possibility, please note "possible reasons", not that it is an absolute fact.

The average female pilot has to be better than the average male pilot to be thought of as average!!!
..but I'm curious where you got that information from?

I would have to take your word on that as you must have more experience in the recruitment field than me in order to make such a sweeping statement.
See above regarding "possibility". I have seen when recruitment in Sweden is taking place to positions where there is a male dominance. Take the military for example, I don't think that it's a coincidence that in some areas there might be a 10 times bigger drop-out rate of females than males. Not necessarily because females as a general are less good, but that it's easier for females to be recruited and there are less female applicants. If that is true in the European aviation world I don't know, I just said that it is a possibility. You say it is at junior level, which I suppose is applicable to RvB's co-pilots that he mentions.

If you are talking about male and female instructors, then you are, ipso facto, a student. Are you really in the best position to judge their skill set?
I was a student. I don't claim to be in the best position although I believe that when I had about 150 hours I could tell if someone's flying abilities was above or below average, taking into consideration the experience of the instructor. In addition to that, you don't need to be a rocket scientist (or experienced pilot for that matter) to recognise bad attitude.

I am afraid that you need to look to yourself as well if you find that you can't relate to someone, or feel more comfortable with certain types of people.
Of course I feel more comfortable with certain types of people, that's how humans are. One of the best bosses I've had (non aviation) was female but the worst one was also a female.

However, if all these female instructors were so bad, you appear to believe it's because they're female not because a) they were badly taught themselves, b) just haven't got the hours yet etc.
I just want to reiterate that I did take into account their flying experience. As you say, everything is possible. It's like those criminal law series you watch on television, where the defence is trying to find reasonable doubt, that it just might be something else that is the explanation.

You've got yourself in a loop now Martin; you are prejudiced. You may have had one or two bad experiences but you will assume, when you meet a new female instructor, that she is going to be as bad as the rest and therefore, any little fault she has will escalate in your mind.
That is not true. To be quite honest with you it's not until afterwards where I have thought of which instructors were the best and the ones not so good, where I did see that all females ended up on the wrong side. I don't know if it's a conincidence ot not. I suppose I need to fly with alot of instructors to make a statistically reliable conslusion. Having said that, it's still interesting to hear the observation of others.

If you cannot see that happening in your head, I'm sorry for you. The biggest thing you can do, is recognise it.
I think that your comment is the crux of the matter - it can't be discussed in a proper manner.

If I would have told you about the instructors, without revealing their gender, you would probably have said that I had bad luck and that instructors shouldn't behave like that. What I do is that I just say that I had more bad luck with female instructors as opposed to male, without drawing any conclusions. Now all of a sudden it's me that is the problem!

Living in Sweden I'm sick and tired of the "equal right" debate so I rather not spend more time on this thread. However, I think that it's a pity that the issue, if it at all is an issue, can't be discussed openly.