PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Emirates - a threat for SA Airlines??
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 13:15
vref+10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emirates To SA

Just to correct a common misconception. Emirates is a privately owned carrier based in the UAE. Etihad is the government backed flag carrier of the UAE based in Abu Dhabi. And no I don't fly for either of them just in case anyone wants to climb on their soapbox and get personal or accuse me of bias. I fly for a privately owned company based at Johannesburg.

African governments and, to a greater or lesser extent, the managements of the majority of African flag carriers are to blame for the predicament that these airlines find themselves in. The privately owned carriers on the continent (especially in South Africa ) are, for the most part, doing OK. Same conditions w.r.t to weak currencies, high fuel prices, competition from other carriers etc.

These are the indisputable facts of the matter! It's a global world and companies have no option but to be competitive if they wish to survive and thrive. Keep national politics out of the airlines and hire professional people who can make the companies succeed, not cronies, lackies and Employment Equity wannabes! Jobs for pals just won't work anymore.

Last edited by vref+10; 18th Nov 2007 at 13:30.