PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixed Flight Crew (m/f) a Human Factors Issue in any airline ?
Old 18th Nov 2007, 09:37
Whirlygig

Hovering AND talking

Location: Propping up bars in the Lands of D H Lawrence and Bishop Bonner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Martin1234, I think your post tells us a lot about you!!

Originally Posted by Martin1234
what is wrong with RvB and his concern that he has problem more often with female pilots than male?
Nothing, as long as he recognises that the problem might be within himself rather than with the female pilots concerned. Somehow, from the tone of the original post, I didn't get that impression.

On the contrary, do female captains find it easier to fly with female co-pilots?
As has been stated before, of the dozens and scores of threads started on this subject, every single one has been started by a man. Every one. No, female pilots do not give it a moment's thought. That is one generalisation I feel I can be fairly certain on. I cannot say whether I'd prefer a male or female co-pilot; there are some people with whom I'd rather not work and some with whom I enjoy working. I would have to sit down and think whether there is any correlation to their gender.

Thought about it. No there isn't!!!

The "average" professional male pilot is better than the "average" professional female pilot, in the same way as the average professional male golfer is better than the average professional female golfer.
No. The average female pilot has to be better than the average male pilot to be thought of as average!!!

I'd love to know where you got that snippet of info. I do hope this isn't your own prejudice coming through by making up stuff and then dressing it up as fact.

It's easier for women to get employed as a pilot, hence the employers accept less qualified pilots if they are female.
Some airlines may have positive discrimination policies; I can't comment as I don't work for an airline. I would have to take your word on that as you must have more experience in the recruitment field than me in order to make such a sweeping statement.

However, I can guarantee that in the highly male-oriented profession that is my own career, women do not find it easier to get a job at a high level. At a junior level yes, but then they hit the glass ceiling and cannot go any further.

Now, your last post raises some, to me, interesting points and questions:-

If you are talking about male and female instructors, then you are, ipso facto, a student. Are you really in the best position to judge their skill set?

Also, it is not clear whether you've had one female instructor who had both the poor skills and bad attitude or whether you've had several female instructors who displayed one of each of the negative characteristics you've mentioned. No matter. I am afraid that you need to look to yourself as well if you find that you can't relate to someone, or feel more comfortable with certain types of people.

However, if all these female instructors were so bad, you appear to believe it's because they're female not because a) they were badly taught themselves, b) just haven't got the hours yet etc.

Again, if those negative characteristics were found in your male instructors, would you assume it's because they are male or would you assume it's down to another reason.

You've got yourself in a loop now Martin; you are prejudiced. You may have had one or two bad experiences but you will assume, when you meet a new female instructor, that she is going to be as bad as the rest and therefore, any little fault she has will escalate in your mind.

If you cannot see that happening in your head, I'm sorry for you. The biggest thing you can do, is recognise it.

Cheers

Whirls