PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Garuda crash, copilot hours
View Single Post
Old 18th Nov 2007, 03:41
CAPTAIN WOOBLAH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I would say rather than being sarcastic one would have to be realistic to see the breaks in the safety chain here.

1) Culture. A military background with strong power distance. And a submissive First Officer. Actual experience of the Captain.

2) Training inclusive of CRM and the real application of it.

3) Company culture and the application of SOP's both on line and in the SIM.

4) The Line Culture with regard to maintenance and MEL's. Continual shortcuts can lead to an attitude of taking risks.

I feel that the FO did his best considering his cultural and his perceived place in the flight deck. The Captain on the other hand exceeded his, the FO's and the aeroplanes capabilities. But I do not believe he set out to crash his aircraft. He was caught in a succession of errors and refused to abort his mission as he had a predetermined set of ideas in his mind. COMPLETE THE MISSION.

Personally I have executed a go around when the FO called and I thought that all was within company limits. But, in my mind if a crew member calls G/A then it only costs fuel to execute such. Perhaps he has seen something I have not. I would much rather risk additional fuel burn off rather that a hull loss and heaven forbid loss of life.

So my advice is. If the words G/A are called, execute it. We can always discuss it later when we are safely on the ground.

Wooblah.