PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixed Flight Crew (m/f) a Human Factors Issue in any airline ?
Old 18th Nov 2007, 00:56
Martin1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
carholme & Co, no one has claimed that there are no good female pilots. I'm sure that there are lots of good female pilots out there. Having said that,

what is wrong with RvB and his concern that he has problem more often with female pilots than male?

Possible reasons I can think of are,

* As already stated, men and women focus on different things. Hence the male captain might not appreciate the way the female co-pilot solve things. On the contrary, do female captains find it easier to fly with female co-pilots?

* The "average" professional male pilot is better than the "average" professional female pilot, in the same way as the average professional male golfer is better than the average professional female golfer.

* It's easier for women to get employed as a pilot, hence the employers accept less qualified pilots if they are female.

I haven't flown in a multi-crew environment but I have flown with several instructors. I have found the female instructors to be less good and the one which had the least good flying skills, taking into account her flying experience, and a really bad attitude was a female. I have an open mind and I'm sure that there are lots of female pilots, with about the same amount of hours as I have, that are much better pilots. Having said that, I don't know if my experience that male instructors are generally better than female is a coincidence or not. It's interesting to hear that RvB also has found that gender is a factor to figure out the likelyhood of a pilot being "good or bad".