PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Swiss ATC help required
View Single Post
Old 17th Nov 2007, 16:07
shagshag

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

I'm working for Skyguide in Geneva and will try to answer your questions. I'm not sure I will have an answer for all of them...
Skyguide has 2 main centers for en-route control. One in Geneva and one in Zurich. The Zurich upper secters (FL245+) should have been groupped in Geneva last year. But for some obscure reason it has been delayed to ??? In fact we don't know if this project is still runnig (officially it is still...)
Geneva upper sectors work on a new stripless system which is propably one of the best in the world.Have a look on www.skysoft-atm.com. Zurich is still working on an very very old fashioned system (1 executive, 1 planner each of them having its own stripboard... and 1 assistant). A program is running to develop new control system for them but it might take some time...
I don't think French or German is really requested for already qualified ATCO. But it helps for daily life. If you already have an ATC license the training will be about 6 months long. You'll have theory and trainig for the new sectors. It goes pretty fast.
The years of licence you have from a previous contractor are taken into account for your salary. It starts from ~105'000 CHF + 24'000 CHF (responsability bonus) and goes up every year. (1CHF = 0.60€)
Even if the cost of living is high in Switzerland and espacially in the region of Geneva and Zurich, it is still a good salary. You can live wherever you want (France or Germany). For the house I have no idea but I think you can buy one. And sorry to announce that but you can expect rain, fog and snow. In fact espacially rain but it change from month to month and you also have beautiful wx of coure.
I hope to have given answer to most of your questions but let me know if you want some more details.
All the best