PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixed Flight Crew (m/f) a Human Factors Issue in any airline ?
Old 17th Nov 2007, 13:18
carholme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies/Gentlemen;
What do sports have to do with the topic of mixed crew? Is this the kind of rationale that is used in your CRM thinking? As the sports question appears to have been raised by men, what do you have to say about figure skating where there are far more women than men? I guess that would not be a fair argument as it would probably lead to unfair and wrongly presumed responses about sexuality.
Here in Canada, the male domain of ice hockey has been virtually smashed with every small town embodying women's programmes. Are these programmes as good as the men's? Probably not if you are a male domain thinker but in fact they are every bit as good as the men's because it is a thinking game. Historically the best players have been the thinkers whether they are male or female.
If the sports analogy is in any way being used to justify male dominance in the cockpit, I feel sorry for how far we have really come in this business.
Ther CP in our company is a woman and the quality she brings to the operation is unique. Women have exceptional skills as do men but I can tell you that this lady has brought a new light to our operation. She thinks with her head, not her gender. I don't think she is good at any sports but she is not the CP because of that.
carholme