PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SNCO Aircrew.... Shafted???
View Single Post
Old 22nd Mar 2002, 20:19
Flap62

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Magic - it may take a while but when all of the current studies and working groups decide yet again that there is nothing new in the pot for AA, then you may realise that that is the reality of life. I am not "insulting you", merely stating the truth. You were on your high horse because I did not take the opportunity to give AA advice on how to better their lot. The long and the short of it is that I do not think that your lot needs bettered at the expense of other things. There is only so much money in the current, very small pot, and it has to be spent where it's needed. As the recent proposals show, that is with the pilots. Unfortunately for you that meant that rear crew Officers had to get the same deal - having your nose rubbed in it is never pleasant but sometimes that's life. The focus of the Air Force must be flying ops and this cannot be conducted without the pilots in the cockpit. Wait I hear you cry, it can't be done without crew and quite rightly, but as some of your colleagues have pointed out, that can still be done. Yes some people will need to be swapped around and work out of position. Not ideal for many reasons but the show can still go on. This is rarely the case with the pilots - they therefore are the key element. Combining this with the pull factor from outside (lower at the moment but give it 12 months) and you see why they get the better deal. This is simply the reality of life in any business, which lets face it, in the days of post NMS we most certainly are in a business.. .For all the huffing and puffing of "that's it I'm off", we all know that you'll still be here next year and the year after because most of you don't have anywhere else to go. The sad truth is that the Air Force knows it to, and thats why you won't get a better deal. I'm sure that this will provoke pages of bile, but believe it or not, that is not my intention. Unfortunately, sometimes the truth hurts.