PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - SNCO Aircrew.... Shafted???
View Single Post
Old 22nd Feb 2002, 20:18
Flap62

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sandy - quote

"One other thought is that because SNCO Aircrew join halfway up the pay scale, over a 30+ year career you've hardly got any room for moving up the pay scale ladder".

Didn't hear many of you whingeing when you started as a 20 year old (or whatever) half way up the pay-scale, therebye earning a lot more than someone in a ground trade. So you think that because you started half way up the pay scale that the top should expand to accomodate you. The perk was that as SNCO aircrew you were earning what it would take you 15 years to make in a ground trade. Just because I got accelerated promotion as a graduate, should I have a different pay-scale at the top end as a non-graduate? There isn't one and nor should there be. What you want is firmly in the "cake and eat it catagory". As for flying pay, there are 2 ways to look at it:. .a) its danger pay in which case the closest most of you come ( with a few very worthy exceptions SAR, SH ) to danger is a freak toastie burn at top of climb.. .b) Its a form of retention pay to counter the pull from market forces outside. To this argument may I refer you back to my earlier comments about "marketable skills" and "burger king"