PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW State Police powers with regard to Aircraft.
Old 15th Nov 2007, 20:28
Buster Hyman

Evertonian

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Hmmm, an interesting situation me thinks.

Whilst its fraught with possibilities, I can see at least one positive aspect, one I have experienced first hand.

Many moons ago, when the A310 was still a novelty, we used to handle JesAir out of Tulla. I was dispatching it at the gate (which was stand off BTW) when a couple of the local plods came to the aircraft with one of our CSO's. They'd explained that they needed to talk to one of the punters that had already boarded the flight. So, they all came to the top of the steps & our intrepid young lass went onboard to fetch said punter. The cops then stood to one side, out of view which, I might add, was a task in itself on a set of portable steps!

Anyways, after asking said punter to come to the doorway due to a need to check his ticket, our intrepid young lass followed him forward. As he stepped onto the steps, the cops launched themselves at him & had him up against the aircraft in handcuffs in no time! Again, this was on a set of portable steps & I was hanging on for dear life as she bucked & swayed in the commotion.

It turns out that this chap had done a nasty little number on a kid in a shopping centre & he was heading VFR back to Bulgaria!

So, whilst happy that the little scrote was caught, it raised quite a few concerns. (1) Our staff member was put in a potentially dangerous situation & had NFI what he was wanted for. (2) With forewarning, we could have sent a couple of larger blokes (myself included) on instead of her. (3) She was rather shocked & a little distressed as events unfolded and realisation of who she had dealt with set in. And, (4) the fact that the cops did not have sufficient time, or even the authority, to go onboard & grab him themselves!