PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Mixed Flight Crew (m/f) a Human Factors Issue in any airline ?
Old 15th Nov 2007, 11:33
carholme

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ladies/Gentlemen;
If one goes back to the early days of studying the crew environment in an aircraft cockpit and the evolving process to todays CRM. we know that the three main points initiated were,
Interpersonal Communication
Leadership
Decision Making
Time showed that technical skills were not a primary consideration, however cognitive and interpersonal communications were primary in the successful management of an aircrew.
It is not a long jump to extrapolate and deal with the word EGO. probably the most limiting factor in any people management scenario.
The old story goes, "In a group of people, if there is an asshole standing around, he is usually in my shoes".
Barring major cultural differences which may require more understanding and training, if the EGO factor is honestly evaluated by every member of the crew, management becomes much more effective because the "me only" is removed from the equation.
Whether you are pink, green, male or female should then be of little concern and all of us then have an input into good management and helping to reduce the human error factor. If I am open minded, I accept, if I am closed minded, I reject.
carholme