PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Night Qualification Experiences
View Single Post
Old 15th Nov 2007, 06:43
tacpot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My NQ training, started when the clocks went back, consisted of the following:

Initial discussion of what equipment would be required, basically lots of Torches with filters to make them suitable for night flying.

Briefing on techniques and issues associated with flight at night

1hr Night Flight appreciation/aclimatisation including a basic introduction to the techniques/issues associated with flight at night. Also an opportunity to check out all these torches!

1hr Circuit Training including Airfiled lighting in various states, and cockpit lighting failures.

Briefing on the legalities of flight at night in the UK.

10mins Circuit Check prior to solo, then 1hr of Solo circuits consisting of five takeoffs and full stop landings (signed off by the instructor).

1hr Navigation Training.

Repeat of 1hr Navigation Training having failed the previous hour.

Various trips to the airfield to do a solo navigation trip, but clocks then went forward and night flying stopped for the Summer.

Arguement with CFI as to why he wouldn't sign me off. He insisted that a solo navigation flight was necessary for him to see that I was safe. (I put it to him that this was a bit rich, as he had been prepared to send me off on a solo navigation flight so he obviously thought me safe ).

I still don't have my NQ, but I won't be going back to that school to complete it!

Be aware that the NQ is even more prone to weather cancellation - other factors start to come into play, e.g. fog / icing / cloud.

I decided early on that if the engine failed, I was going to land on a nicely lit road. You can also manage the risk by chosing how little moon light you will fly with, and where you fly. Flying over Snowdon at night does give you fewer options than a flight along the M4 corridor.

I'm afraid the standard advice of "Pick a dark patch - turn on the landing light. If you don't like what you see... turn it off again " doesn't cut it for me. I'm turning the light on and leaving it on. I want to see what I'm going to hit! To my mind, you need to remain in as much control as possible, whatever the state of your landing site, be it a cliff face, forest or lake. Never stop flying the 'plane.

It's a great experience. Hope you have a good time.

tp