PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Things I always wanted to know as a PILOT
Old 14th Nov 2007, 05:31
Mark1234

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Try quoting the whole sentence:
'Cos I've seen the content (which doesn't change) 100 times before. In my case, I already looked on the way in where the exits were, and had a quick think where I'm going if, and usually count seat backs to the exit. I don't need to be told how to put on a lifejacket, or use the oxygen mask (again).
Sitting at my desk - no idea (approximately, 6 is about mid way, from memory the overwings are around row 14, and fronts row 1 (obviously) in pretty much all those aircraft). By the time I'm strapped into seat 6E I would know. I also pay attention to the door operation (do you?) and if I can spot it, where the portable oxygen is (just in case).

Anyway, the 'safety brief' doesn't tell me what you ask. What it does tell me, at least on those aircraft is that: there are 2 exits at the front, 2 overwing, and 2 at the back, how to use the oxygen mask (pull down sharply), where to find the lifejacket (under the seat), the brace position, to remove my high heels before using the exit slide, wear my safety belt at all times, follow the strip lighting on the floor, listen to the cabin crew instructions, turn off my mobile phone, and any other electronic equipment as it may interfere with the aircraft navigation systems, usually the names of the cabin crew, captain and first officer. Did I miss anything? Oh yes, there's a whistle and a light on the lifejacket, I pull the tags to inflate (NOT inside the aircraft), and blow into the mouthpiece to top up.

I guess my point is that just because I don't hang on every word of the show, doesn't mean I'm not thinking about it - I'm well aware that those with a plan tend to be the ones that live.