PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NSW State Police powers with regard to Aircraft.
Old 13th Nov 2007, 06:27
tipsy2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question NSW State Police powers with regard to Aircraft.

I found this little gem at

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...13/2089843.htm

NSW Govt extends police riot powers
Posted 30 minutes ago

Map: Sydney 2000
The New South Wales Government will permanently enforce extra powers given to police to quell riots.

Emergency powers granted to police in the wake of the 2005 Cronulla riots were due to expire next month.

But Premier Morris Iemma has told Parliament they will now be made permanent and expanded.

"Giving police the ability to stop vehicles and people who gather in an area which may be some distance from a riot and are suspected of planning to join in the unrest," he said.

He says the Terrorism Act will also be updated and expanded to allow police to search boats and planes without a warrant.

"The Government remains committed to giving the police the power they need to protest our community," he said.

Mr Iemma says police have demonstrated their ability to use the laws responsibly.

Does anybody know more about this ?
Is it another example of the kneejerk policy on the run politics that we seem to be saddled with?
Or, is there a valid reason/threat to be addressed for the powers?
What on earth did the Cronulla riots have to do with civil or any form aviation for that matter?

There is no explanation as to which planes this refers to be they RPT or GA.

Maybe somebody should try and educate these erstwhile community leaders with regard to the difference between a plane (the carpentary tool) an aeroplane (being an aircraft) and a hydroplane (being a boat). Come to think of it they probably wouldn't understand.

The second last para is a either gem of educated 'reporting' or Government stupidity, I am unsure which.

The last para made me throw up. Twice.

Me thinks the NSW Police have been watching too many American 'cop chase video' shows.

Removing tongue from cheek for a minute, can anybody really throw some light on what appears to be a nonsense.

tipsy...........................
furball and another.