PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - American Airlines pilot layoffs.
View Single Post
Old 29th Sep 2001, 19:24
dallas dude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
386 pilots were furloughed by AA. All have full recall rights. Some (appx 150) may even get a payraise if they choose to flow back to Eagle RJ Captain.

As far as pax loads and ticket prices, the airlines figure anyone flying right now is flying because they "have to" as opposed to flying because of buying a discounted ticket.
Once the loads settle and there's a real indication of where Joe Public is with this whole business, then I think we'll see some deals.

The US airlines, who are responsible for providing the airport security, obviously (in a calculating manner) are trying to figure out how much money they need to spend on the APPEARANCE on good security. If pax don't start returning by Thanksgiving the answer will be NOT ENOUGH,yet!

As far as arming pilots. I grew up in the UK-not known for its wild west image. However, I feel like the FAA is currently saying "If your airline's security missed a hijacker and they try to commandeer your aircraft then the only defense you have is to deliberately crash, otherwise we'll shoot you down".

Bit melodramatic I know but I'm starting to feel that arming our pilots is a better option.

dd