PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2007, 18:15
Mick Smith

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An honestly held opinion

Pontius, Santiago and Mr Point

Thanks for the clarification, which given Santiago's original post confirmed my suspicions of what the follow-up report meant.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

On a wider issue, and apologies for the length of this post. I am a complete outsider here. I post as who I am for reasons of honesty and you guys know who I am and that I have no knowledge of aircraft maintenance, and don't pretend to. I do think however that a number of posters have paid something less than respect to a number of people on this thread who do know what they are talking about and whose intentions are entirely honourable.

This is directed and aimed honestly at Charlie Luncher, Vage Rot, Wrathmonk, and others who think like them. Every generation thinks they know everything there is to know. Charlie Luncher you are where you are, so there is no doubt a lot you do know that others don't.

But that doesn't change the fact that those who went before you, have a great deal of experience of keeping aircraft serviceable and in the air, and know what should and should not be done. They aren't idiots. They have the tee-shirt.

Nor does it change the fundamental truth that an aircraft should not have fuel leaking internally at the rate that it has been doing in a number of cases of Nimrod AARing over Afghanistan which have been documented in official reports written by your colleagues.

No-one is criticising anyone at Kinloss. I have read people on this thread suggesting they are but seen absolutely no evidence of it either here or in the media. Reading the QinetiQ report produced six months before Sept 06, it makes clear that the teams trying to keep the MR2 in the air are "highly committed" and producing a "good" standard of workmanship. That point has been made by both the Sunday Times and the BBC.

Your response to the experienced people posting here is:

Vage come on now you know that all the experts on here know better than you, remember they have left and are much smarter now...
I have asked for restraint and consideration on this post but no you just cannot help yourselves. So when and if we meet I will ignore your calls for restraint, take your frustration with your lack of promotion or importance to another cause or shall we have to wait until something other than a Chinook/Herc/Nimrod is lost.
None of the people discussing the issue have ever shouted you down but you feel it is right to talk to them like that. I can't even think why you thought it appropriate to say the passage I have bolded up - or indeed why the mods let you do it. Worse, you are applauded for these comments by both Vage Rot and Wrathmonk.

The last part of your comment repeated your previous suggestion that the media reporting - in particular the leaked emails - has delayed the BOI report. Because you are where you are, when you first made this claim I believed you must know what you were talking about in this regard, although I did express some surprise it might be the case.

I'm glad I only did it in posts on this thread because when I asked senior officers who know far more about the situation with the BOI than you do, they assured me it was not the case. Yet you - who demands restraint - thought it was right in a previous post on the issue to suggest to TD that by passing the emails to Sky he was responsible for delays in the BOI report.

Everyone on this thread is discussing the issue because we don't want - as you put it - "to wait until something other than a Chinook/Herc/Nimrod is lost". The time for restraint will come when it is absolutely certain that we have got beyond that point. Last Monday's incident shows we are still some way from that point.