PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod Information
View Single Post
Old 11th Nov 2007, 17:40
nigegilb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A further point about XV179, which was shot down when a round penetrated the fuel tank. Within days tactics in theatre were changed and crews were discouraged from flying low level unless absolutely necessary. This instruction came out almost a year before the BoI was published. Crews were also instructed to manage fuel in the tanks to be in a safer condition, quantity wise when making approaches to hot strips. This instruction came out a full year or so before the BoI report.

Crews should be informed immediately of any findings materially affecting the way missions are carried out or risks inherent.

The fact that a crew member has been stationed to look through a periscope during AAR post Sep 06, confirms that contrary to anything CAS has been saying, there are central themes to these fuel leaks.

I have no idea if the cause of ignition for the fire on XV230 is known, I have no idea if the cause of a possible fuel tank explosion on XV230 is known.. However, if the BoI do know, then I would hope that crews taking big risks on the front line are in the loop.