PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin - Crew Discussions II
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2007, 15:31
scoobydooo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is embarrassing to watch some of you use comparisons to the suffering of those who had to endure the hardships of world war II with your analogies of A-bombs and their influences on the outcome of the war
But the A-Bomb did end world War II, 6 days after Nagasaki Japan surrendered ending the war - I'm not really sure what you mean by that statement. My reference to A bombs is that they are on a par with striking, the last resort.

The pilots never even came close to a strike.
I may have my facts incorrect then, I was under the understanding that the union voted in favour of industrial action and this was averted at the last minute with emergency negotiations and the strike was called off ?

The following is fromt he independant 2001, you rejected an offer and the union was preparing an industrial ballot (as they are now in our case) I would say that is a similar position in terms of how close to striking, thoughe once again I stress the differences are noted.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/tra...icle253740.ece

Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic airline faces strike action after 95 per cent of its pilots rejected a pay offer.
Sir Richard Branson's Virgin Atlantic airline faces strike action after 95 per cent of its pilots rejected a pay offer.
Sir Richard, anxious to avoid cancellations by passengers seeking to avoid industrial action, intervened personally but failed to persuade flight crew to accept a 5 per cent pay rise.
An internal memo reveals that Virgin tried to ensure that news of the strike threat did not leak out. The confidential letter warned that the business would be damaged and Virgin's image tarnished if passengers "get wind of potential disruption".
Virgin management will make a final attempt to reach a deal on Monday but members of the British Airline Pilots' Association (Balpa) said there would need to be a significant improvement in the pay offer. The union, which recently secured recognition by Virgin, is preparing for a ballot on industrial action if there is no breakthrough.
Pilots want a two-year deal worth 12 per cent above inflation and a 3.5 per cent boost to pensions. Pilots' representatives argue that Virgin's flight crew are paid 25 per cent less than their colleagues at British Airways, where senior captains earn more than £100,000 a year.
The letter, by Malcolm Wagstaff, Virgin Atlantic's flight operations director, conceded that the airline was "not a market leader" for pay but said it could not afford a bigger rise. "The commercial damage ... starts from the moment customers get wind of a potential for disruption," he wrote. "Our reputation and image, as well as opportunities for growth and stability, will be jeopardised."

Many thanks for your responses, if I have made a mistake and you did not indeed get close to striking as the news article details then I apologise, however I feel your aggressive tone is unwarranted.