PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Pilot Wages in Nigeria
View Single Post
Old 10th Nov 2007, 09:17
chuks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No problem,

Zazoo, the date was easy to remember, 10 September, 2001. I guess that is why it never made it into the world news, eh?

If your point is that it happened more than six years ago, well, mine is that there is no particular reason it should not happen again in more-or-less the same way. Well, maybe the dirtbags learn to shoot better, so that they could kill us all with an AK-47 at near point-blank range; that much could be different! Too, since then the situation has deteriorated further in Nigeria so that levels of crime are even higher than six years ago. Or have I got that wrong?

What passes for police in Nigeria, huh! They never bothered to investigate the incident seriously so that the perpetrators were never caught. A couple of guys came out, looked at the holes in the bus and went away. That was all.

The Shell doctor gave us some little white pills to help us sleep; so much for being a sub-contractor, I guess. There were some fine words about their deep concern for us but nothing like practical help to keep it from happening again.

The Company continued to run the same vehicle (holes patched up) past the same point, albeit slightly later in the day, 0630, arguing that, well, "It only happened once." I could hardly wait for "twice" to see what explanation that would bring! Probably, yes, that we had done something wrong.

There are opportunities in Nigeria, sure. Good luck to anyone else who wants to try his luck; I had some good times there and I still have a warm spot for the people.

On the other hand, a normal European might have no idea of the levels of danger there to be found.

Don't waste your time and mine reading war stories but go to the US Department of State website for travel advisories, for example.

Definitely check with a doctor who is experienced in tropical diseases before you go.

Have a think about the fact that the standard of driving in Nigeria is insanely dangerous, too. The ride to the airport can be the worst part of your day, no fooling.

If anyone wants to take at face value a statement that living in today's Nigeria is "safe" well, I have $30 million in a blocked bank account that I am willing to share with anyone who wants to give me their account details, okay? (That's just a bit of sarcasm: there is no $30 million, just as there isn't much safety in Lagos. In other words, check it out very, very carefully before you decide to go work there.)