PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Europa 738 at Katowice?
View Single Post
Old 8th Nov 2007, 17:50
lederhosen

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
It has taken me a while to respond as I got called out for a trip to the eastern Med. and then a succession of earlies, so I know about rostering demands. Talking of fatigue, I have in the past experienced six leg days with 25 minute turnarounds, starting and finishing in the dark.

Thanks for you response Captplaystation and we all seem to be pretty much in agreement. My recollection of the TNT business is much as you described it. To paraphrase Sleeper you can always autoland off a CAT 1 except when you can't, or maybe when it is not a good idea.

Perhaps we differ in the degree of our preference or need for autolanding. But the debate has certainly flushed out some interesting points and given food for thought.

Incidentally are your autopilots fail operational? Ours are not. But the Boeing flight crew training manual says that for fail operational airplanes, the AFDS includes a monitor to detect significant ILS signal interference. The autopilot disregards erroneous ILS signals and remains engaged in an attitude stabilizing mode based on inertial data. No immediate crew action is required unless erratic or inappropriate autopilot activity is observed.