PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Hawk Down
Thread: Black Hawk Down
View Single Post
Old 5th Feb 2002, 12:26
MightyGem

Received 81 Likes on 33 Posts
Cool

Ag Bis, I think I have the answer. It’s all part of the Star Wars/Trek spin off. Remember how we marvelled back in the 70s when Capt James T spoke on his communicator the size of cigarette packet? Compare that to our latest mobile ‘phones.

Anyway, I managed to hack into a couple of DoD computers over the weekend and found out that the 160 SOAR have been using an experimental electro magnetic generator that works on a process similar to a Romulan Warbird cloaking device.. .However, the diameter of the field produced is only just big enough to hide an aircraft the size of an OH/AH6 or OH58D. With a Blackhawk the nose and tail rotor can still be seen. This could explain why only Blackhawks were shot down and not the smaller types. This also explains why you never saw them when you were out there. Obviously the film company didn’t have access to this technology when making the movie.

With regards to the Orions, if you look at an aircraft in the middle distance it generally appears black against the background of sky. I remember reading some years ago of a theory that if you mounted a number of lights on an aircraft with a wavelength equal to that of the background, this would effectively render the aircraft invisible, or at least very hard to see. I suspect this may have been developed into a usable device.

Anyway I must go, it sounds like someone’s trying to break down my front door...............