PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Black Hawk Down
Thread: Black Hawk Down
View Single Post
Old 31st Jan 2002, 22:38
Agaricus bisporus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation

Mighty Gem, I am certain there were no OH 58s (I've got the designator right, haven't I? I'm talking about military Hughes 500s)in Mog during 93 unless they were hidden in a hangar when no other helos were, or else shipborne, which is a pretty strange place to put such an unsuitable machine. US land based helos were Blackhawks, Cobras and mybe a few Hueys.

I never saw an Orion on the ground or in the air but that does not mean they never visited, but I'd say with certainty they never did so regularly or frequently. I'd heve noticed them on patrol unless very high indeed - you don't sleep on a roof and not take notice of the airborne activity, particularly if it is liable to start spewing fire, noise and fury in vast deafening and dazzling sheets - Puff would have been very very proud of his offspring. He sure impressed the hell out of me!

It is because I was so aware of the Spectres that I doubt I would have missed Orions if they had regular attenders.

Still, I could be wrong.

I'm also pretty sure that the reaction to the loss of the Blackhawks specifically did not involve the use of further helos, ground partols were sent in instead.

But then I guess no one said the movie was accurate did they, what movie ever is?

[ 31 January 2002: Message edited by: Agaricus bisporus ]</p>